Monday, April 9, 2012

Repurposed Paper Mache Trays

A few weeks ago at a thrift store I found a great set of four vintage paper mache trays (they measure 4.5 x 7.75) - wasn't sure what I was going to do with them but I knew I couldn't leave them behind. I grabbed them off my studio bench today and transformed them into very fun hand painted art trays. I took a few pictures of my process.



1. The tray as it was bought - I am sure you have seen these before they always have a Japanese design on them - I have also seen coasters like this to.

2. I decoupaged fabric to the surface - makes for a great surface to apply paint and it also adds great texture

3. Once the fabric is dry I covered it with black gesso and it is all prepped and ready to be painted.

Here are photos of the first two that are finished - I'm headed to my studio to paint the other two - I will try to post pictures tomorrow.


1 comment: